The La Crosse Technology WS-7014CH-IT uses a powerful 915 MHz transmitter to send accurate weather data from up to 330 feet away. It measures and displays both outdoor temperature and indoor temperature and humidity levels. The atomic clock is perfectly accurate and self-adjusting. The wireless transmission range is 330 feet unobstructed, or 50 to 65 feet when walls are in the way.
This affordable weather station uses changes in barometric pressure readings over a 36 hour period to generate a 12 to 20-hour forecast that is at least 75% accurate. The forecast is displayed with 3 easy to interpret weather forecasting icons. If you need to monitor temperature and humidity levels in more than one location, the receiver is capable of handling up to remote three sensors and is ideal for keeping track of conditions in greenhouses, wine cellars, and darkrooms.
Features and Specifications
- Receiver Dimensions: 5.43″ x 3.78″ x 1.16″
- Sensor Dimensions: 5.05″ x 1.5″ x .83″
- Wireless transmission range: 330 feet.
- Transmission frequency: 915 MHz.
- Displays weather forecast with three weather icons and a tendency indicator arrow.
- Monitors outdoor temperature and indoor temperature and humidity.
- Atomic clock automatically updates for Daylight Savings Time.
- Wall or desktop mountable.
- Can receive data from up to three sensors.
- Receiver and wireless sensor each use 2 “AA” batteries.
Although La Crosse Technology WS-7014CH-ITis a relatively popular product among its online reviewers, there are some common complaints that are disconcerting. Several reviewers complained that the outdoor sensor either arrived inoperable or failed shortly after delivery. This seems to be a common problem that is exacerbated by poor customer support. The company takes a long time to respond to requests for assistance, according to many of the reviews. One customer waited 3 weeks for a response, and another waited 3 weeks for delivery of a replacement for a defective sensor. Replacing the battery can be a chore, as it resets the unit and must be done according to a time sequence. Note that the product comes with both a sensor and a receiver, as some customers were confused, though they needed to buy a separate sensor, and ended up owning two sensors when they only needed one.
The positive reviews note that the WS-7014CH-IT is a very inexpensive model and works well considering the price. These reviews indicate that the sensor does need to be sheltered from the elements as it is sensitive to the sun. These reviews also indicate that the forecasts and data are accurate up to 70% of the time. Those who are pleased with the product acknowledge its shortcomings but are still happy with the weather information it provides considering the price of the system.
- Very affordable.
- Comes with one wireless sensor, can add up to two more.
- Accurate weather information.
- Poor customer service and tech support.
- Many problems reported with the remote sensor not working or not lasting very long.
- No backlight for the display.
- The display screen is small and can be difficult to see.
- Battery replacement is a complicated task.
- Remote temperature sensor gives false readings in direct sunlight.
- Forecast icons indicate weather trends, not an actual weather forecast.