The La Crosse Technology WS-2812U-IT features a solar-powered wind sensor and Windows compatible PC software for storing and graphing your collected weather data. It comes with a receiver, a thermo-hygro, a wind sensor, and a rain gauge. All of these sensors communicate wirelessly with the receiver for up to 200 feet unobstructed. It has seven weather alarm modes for temperature, humidity, wind direction, wind gusts, air pressure, 24-hour rainfall totals, and storm warnings. It also stores up to 1750 sets of weather data recorded at intervals from 1 minute to 24 hours.
Features and Specifications
- Dimensions: 9.5” x 1.2” x 7”.
- Weight: 1.5 pounds.
- Displays weather forecast with three weather icons and a trend indicator.
- Weather history PC software for Windows stores and graphs weather data synchronizes time and date and sets weather alerts.
- Wireless sensor transmission range: 200 feet.
- 100% solar powered wind sensor with rechargeable power cell.
- Self-emptying rain collector.
- Stores 1750 sets of weather data.
- Monitors outdoor and indoor temperature and humidity.
- Wind sensor measures wind speed and direction, gusts, dew point, and wind chill.
The reviews for the La Crosse Technology WS-2812U-IT have not been good. Negative reviews greatly outnumber the positive ones as customers are complaining about many problems with the product. The complaints cover a wide range of issues concerning faulty equipment. Many received sensors that either did not work or failed soon after purchase. The solar-powered wind sensors have a tendency to quit in the dark. The synchronization with the PC software can be troublesome. Unless your computer is always running, you will have to resynchronize the unit with the software every time you turn your computer back on and open the software.
Even more troublesome is the lack of customer support. Those who complained about receiving bad equipment were even more vociferous about the poor support from La Crosse. Emails go unanswered. Phone calls are not returned. Needed parts are not available for weeks at a time. For a product that is seemingly so unreliable, the lack of adequate customer service must give any potential buyer pause.
However, according to the positive reviews, when the product works properly it does a great job. It is easy to set up and the data is very accurate from all of the sensors, including the newly redesigned rain gauge. The PC software is WUHU compatible and communicates with third party sites like weatherunderground.com. Unfortunately, this product has been poorly received and is encumbered by the company’s notoriously poor customer service.
- WUHU compatible
- Easy to set up.
- Much more accurate than previous versions.
- Large easy to read display.
- Feature-rich PC software.
- Poor customer and tech support.
- Numerous reports of faulty sensors.
- Sensors occasionally stop communicating.
- Only comes with a quick start guide. For a full manual, you need to download a pdf file from the company website.
- The software is not included, must be downloaded.
- No backlight.
- PC software loses connection to the system when the computer is off and needs to be resynchronized.