Davis Instruments has been delivering high-quality products to the marketplace for 30 years. The Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus is another in a long line of successful weather devices. Davis designs their weather stations to be used at home, in educational settings, or for agricultural or industrial purposes. With the Vantage Pro2 Plus, they have delivered once again.
This weather station will turn you into a meteorological expert, as you will have at your disposal almost all the data the experts have. This home weather station displays weather data and forecasts on a large backlit LCD screen for easy viewing. The sensor array is solar powered and transmits data every 2.5 seconds with an unobstructed transmission range of 1000 ft. Such a powerful signal is sure to have no problem getting through brick walls, roofs, or whatever obstacle exists between the sensors and your display console. It also stores historical data and can display graphs of this information for the last 24 hours, days, or months. The rain gauge allows you to see the amount of rainfall for a current storm, for the whole day, or for the entire season.
Features and Specifications
- Wireless transmission range: 1000 ft.
- Optional wireless repeaters extend transmission range up to 1.7 miles.
- Updates every 2.5 seconds.
- Large backlit LCD screen 3.5″ x 6″.
- Optional WeatherLink data logging software to analyze your weather data.
- Solar powered sensor suite includes a rain collector, temperature and humidity sensors and a wind meter with a 40-foot cable.
- All electronic components are protected in a weather resistant cover.
- Other options include UV/solar sensor, a soil moisture sensor, and wireless repeaters.
- Graphic icons display weather forecast and the 8 moon phases.
According to online reviews, the Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus is an outstanding weather station. These reviews marvel at the amount of accurate data the station provides, specifically mentioning the rainfall rate per hour. The 24-hour weather forecasts are accurate as well, with one reviewer recalling a certain bright sunny day that turned into a rainstorm as the weather station had predicted.
One complaint with the product is that there is no protection for the rain gauge from contamination from bird droppings. This is not as uncommon an experience as one would hope, and can clog the gauge causing it to report worthless data. Davis Instruments apparently has no good answer to the problem. One creative reviewer took it upon himself to glue tacks upside down to the top of the rain collector and the arm of the weather vane. There have yet to be any reports as to the success of this arrangement.
- Data readings are very accurate
- Rapid updates every 2.5 seconds.
- Forecasts weather with pre-programmed algorithms using barometric pressure readings.
- Over 100 different weather messages.
- Graphs for the last 24 hours, days, or months of weather readings without the use of your home computer.
- Rain collector can get clogged with bird waste.
- Wireless transmission kit is necessary for remote mounting of the anemometer.