Finally, there is an economical weather station that is reliable, easy to read, and simple to use. In 2011, Ambient Weather introduced the Ambient Weather WS-1171 as an affordable weather center with a humidity calibration feature. This weather station displays outdoor and indoor temperature and humidity, dew point and barometric pressure. It also includes a barometric pressure history chart. Icons on the display let the user know if the weather is going to be sunny, cloudy, or rainy, forecasting this information based on trends in the barometric pressure.
The wireless sensor can be installed just about anywhere. Not limited to outdoor use, this unit can be used to keep tabs on the conditions in a greenhouse, wine cellar, baby’s nursery, or any place where maintaining proper humidity levels and temperatures is important. The large LCD console displays a wide array of information yet is thin enough to be mounted on a wall or placed on a desk. It comes with an atomic clock that is extremely accurate and sets itself automatically. The clock is backlit and comes with an alarm that has a snooze feature.
The weather forecaster is one of the most popular features of the Ambient Weather WS-1171. The unit uses its ability to store and graph barometric pressure readings to forecast the weather and displays that forecast using weather icons on the LCD console. If the pressure drops for more than three straight hours, the unit activates a storm indicator that flashes on the screen.
Features and Specifications
- Receiver dimensions: 7.25 x 4 x 1.25 in.
- Sensor dimensions: 3.5 x 2.75 x 1.25 in.
- Shipping Weight: 1 pound.
- The receiver uses 3 “AA” batteries. The sensor uses 2 “AAA” batteries. Lithium batteries are recommended.
- Wireless indoor and outdoor temperature and humidity readings. Maximum and minimum readings recorded with time and date.
- Records barometric pressure on a 24-hour graph. Forecasts weather based on barometer readings and storm sensor activates when pressure drops for more than three hours.
- Radio controlled atomic clock displays time and date. Time automatically updates for daylight savings time. A clock has an alarm with a snooze feature.
Only a small segment of online reviewers was not satisfied with the Ambient Weather WS-1171. Some thought the humidity readings were inaccurate, even after calibration. Others seemed to receive defective units that Ambient Weather representatives were eager to replace at no cost.
Positive reviews abound for this unit. Most reviewers were happy with the performance of the Ambient Weather WS-1171, especially considering the low price point. The instruction manual is easy to read, and the unit itself is simple to operate and reprogram if needed.
Ambient Weather receives praise as well for its level of customer service. Delivery after purchase is very fast. Representatives are friendly and readily available to answer questions, and they even scour the negative reviews to respond to those issues as well.
- Inexpensive and easy to use.
- Uses barometric pressure readings to forecast weather conditions.
- Monitors temperature and humidity indoors and outdoors.
- Excellent customer service.
- Humidity readings not always accurate. Calibration kit is available.