If you are looking for an affordable multi-functional weather station that can upload your data to the internet, then the Ambient Weather WS-1090 might be the one for you. Reasonably priced, the WS-1090 gathers and stores weather data from your backyard like temperature, humidity, wind speed and direction, barometric pressure, wind chill, rainfall, and dew point. The console is compact, and the entire system is easy to install.
The sensors wirelessly transmit collected data up to 330 feet every 45 seconds. The thin and attractive touch screen console displays a wide range of weather information on a large backlit LCD screen. The console can be wall mounted or set on a desktop. The console also saves 4080 points of historical weather data that can be accessed and reviewed with the touchscreen.
Download free software, and you will be able to share your information with others on the Weather Underground website. Weather Underground is the world’s most popular free weather network. With the Ambient Weather WS-1090, you get free access to data hosting services and member benefits.
Features and Specifications
- Dimensions: 9” x 1.2” x 5.8”
- Includes a receiver and four outdoor sensors – a wind speed sensor, wind direction sensor, a rain sensor, and a thermo-hydro transmitter.
- Wireless transmission range up to 330 feet at 915 MHz frequency.
- LCD Display Dimensions: 5.75” x 4.25″
- Base station weather data and weather history data can be uploaded to your PC with free PC software.
- 8 weather alarm modes for temperature, humidity, rainfall, air pressure, wind chill, wind speed, dew point, and storm warning.
- Thin and portable touch screen display console with backlighting for desktop or wall mounting.
- Self-adjusting atomic clock.
- Receiver uses 3 “AA” batteries; sensor uses 2 “AA” batteries.
Reviews for the Ambient Weather WS-1090 have been very positive, with over half of all reviewers awarding the product the highest possible rating. There are very few negative comments. Most are singular issues regarding faulty sensors. The Ambient Weather customer service department is very active in dealing with complaints, going so far as to read the online reviews and respond to them.
Most reviewers love this product. The transmission signal from the sensors is reported to be strong enough to penetrate roofs, ceilings, and walls. Signals are sent from the sensors to the receiver every 45 seconds. Reviews say the software is easy to use, automatically tracking and storing weather data. The software also allows the user to adjust the receiver settings without using the display’s touch screen. Although the display is faint, there is a touch-activated backlight. Your weather data can be uploaded to third-party weather sites with the bundled software or by downloading free software like Cumulus.
According to the online reviews, this weather station has everything you need at an affordable price.
- Clear instructions allow for easy setup.
- Very congenial customer service.
- Uploads data to third party sites like weather underground with free downloadable software.
- The provided solar shield is not very effective.
- In the strong wind, the rain sensor can give a false rainfall total.
- The display could be brighter.