Whether you enjoy backpacking, hunting, or you work on a construction site and need up to the minute weather information, this model can do it all. The Ambient Weather WM-4 Handheld Weather Station is an all in one portable weather monitor that is useful in numerous applications. It measures everything from temperature to compass direction in a compact and rugged package and displays the readings on an easy to read backlit LCD display. The pocket knife design of the case gives the user accurate temperature readings without getting a false reading from the temperature of the user’s hand.
Intended as a multiple purpose device, the Ambient Weather WM-4 is threaded so it can be mounted on a tripod. It also has an adjustable lanyard and floats! The water-resistant case protects the unit should it accidentally go overboard. Accessories include a wind tunnel for extremely accurate wind direction measurements, a replacement impeller, and a soft belt carrying case for people who need to carry it with them.
The WM-4 includes a compass for accurate wind direction. The built-in weather vane can calculate crosswind, headwind, and tailwind readings. Wind speed is measured in knots, mph, kph, feet/minute, meters/second. Wind direction can be measured in both degrees and compass points. The compass is also a useful navigation tool. The Ambient Weather WM-4 also uses a psychrometer to measure humidity to an accuracy of +/- 3%.
Features and Specifications
- Dimensions: 5.5″ x 1.75″ x .75″
- Power: Replaceable CR2032 400 hour Lithium battery is included.
- 5-minute automatic shut off.
- Swiss made humidity sensor and impeller.
- American made fluxgate compass for wind direction and bearing.
- Uses AccuWeather.com patented Comfort Index to measure wind chill and heat index.
- Measures temperature in Fahrenheit or Celsius.
- Measures relative humidity from 5% to 95% with an accuracy of +/- 3%. Response time is one minute.
- Compass does not require leveling. It reads when held vertically.
- 2-year factory warranty.
Reviews for the Ambient Weather WM-4 Handheld Weather Station are few but positive. One user surveyed really likes the large display and the numerous features including the heat index from AccuWeather. This reviewer uses the compass while hiking for navigation, and liked that the handle keeps his hand from affecting the temperature readings. The design of the jackknife case protects the unit when not in use. This reviewer appreciated that it was attached to the case could not get lost.
Every review of this unit so far has been stellar. It has all the features one would need in a conveniently portable yet rugged design. One feature that is noticeably absent from this monitor is the ability to measure barometric pressure. One reviewer noted this as a drawback, but would not shy away from buying this unit again.
- Very fast response times as low as one second.
- Waterproof and floats.
- Large easy to read display.
- Displays current AccuWeather comfort index.
- Compass can be used for navigation and wind direction.
- Does not measure barometric pressure.