Oregon Scientific BAR332ES Review
The Oregon Scientific BAR332ES Solar Charging Weather Station uses a detachable solar panel to produce energy for its rechargeable batteries. You can place the panel outside while the batteries still have a charge to ensure that your station will run continuously. While the solar panel is charging, the station runs on a single AAA back up battery. What other weather station does that? After 5 to 6 hours of charging, the batteries will have enough power to run for two months.
This weather station is one of a line of products by Oregon Scientific that are designed with the environment in mind. Their +ECO line combines technology, style, and practicality. The result is products like the Oregon Scientific BAR332ES that provide environmentally responsible practical solutions.
This weather station will provide you with all the information you need to manage your day. It clearly displays the time and day of the week at the bottom of the LCD screen. In the middle, weather icons indicate the day’s weather forecast whether it be sunny, cloudy, rainy, or snowy. At the top you can see the temperatures inside and outside, or wherever the remote sensor is located.
Capable of working with three remote sensors, you can track more than just the weather outside. You can place a remote sensor in a cellar, your baby’s nursery, a green house, or anywhere else where temperature is important. This unit is affordable, but does not come with all of the features that similar weather stations have. The atomic clock is always accurate and never needs to be adjusted. However, this station does not record wind speeds, changes in barometric pressure, or relative humidity. The trade-off is an ecologically friendly unit that is easy to use.
Features and Specifications
- Main Unit Dimensions: 6.2 x 3.4 x 2.2 in.
- Main Unit Weight: 9.88 ounces without battery.
- Remote Sensor Dimensions: 3.78 x 1.97 x 0.87 in.
- Remote Sensor Weight: 2.22 ounces.
- Transmission Range: 98 feet unobstructed.
- Detachable solar panel.
- Weather forecast with icons.
- Automatically updating atomic clock and calendar. Features alarm with snooze setting.
- Displays temperature and humidity for 3 locations.
Reviews for the Oregon Scientific BAR332ES Solar Charging Weather Station have been mixed so far. One reviewer complained that the weather display did not show humidity readings. Although the product is advertised as showing humidity levels, there is no icon on the screen for humidity and nothing in the user manual indicates a humidity reading either.
Other comments are very favorable concerning the Oregon Scientific BAR332ES Solar Charging Weather Station. Even the reviewer who was displeased with the unit lauded how easy it is to set up and charge.
- Detachable solar panel stores energy and converts it to electricity when attached to the station.
- Weather forecast icon displays.
- Atomic clock and calendar updates automatically.
- Does not display humidity readings.
- Back light function located on back of clock is difficult to activate at night.
- Does not display time and date at the same time.