Kestrel 2500 Review
For hikers, mountain climbers, skiers, or any other outdoor enthusiast who needs weather monitor that they can carry with them, the Kestrel 2500 Pocket Weather Meter might be the best option. This weather monitor is as lightweight as it is accurate. Not only does the Kestrel 2500 measure wind and temperature, it has an air pressure sensor that monitors altitude as well as barometer readings. It also uses the changes in air pressure readings to predict future weather conditions.
The Kestrel 2500 is built with the outdoor enthusiast in mind. The waterproof casing allows the user to take water temperatures. It also protects the unit from water damage and floats, which is a very important feature for the numerous boaters who have lost equipment overboard. For those who use night vision equipment, the olive drab NV version of this monitor has a unique night vision preserving backlight that uses an optical filter to minimize interference with night vision equipment.
This weather meter is useful for virtually any outdoor activity. The unit’s buoyancy and waterproof case make it ideal for boaters and fishermen. The wind gauge is a vital tool for long range shooting. And, the forecasting feature is essential for mountain climbers or anyone who will be in situations that can become life threatening in extreme weather conditions.
Features and Specifications
- Product ID: 106873. Model Year: 2011.
- Weight: 2.3 Ounces.
- Dimensions: 4.8 x 1.7 x 0.7 in.
- Measures air, water, and snow temperature, wind speed; pressure and altitude; current, average, and maximum wind speed; wind chill.
- Comes with a protective waterproof cover with sure grip over molding, adjustable lanyard, and replaceable CR2032 coin battery.
- Ultra-sensitive impeller provides extremely accurate wind speed information and is easily replaceable.
- Monitors changes in air pressure to predict impending weather conditions.
- Digital altimeter.
- Screen displays time and date.
There are not many online reviews of the Kestrel 2500 Pocket Weather Meter yet. But, almost every one of them is positive. The only significant complaint concerns a unit whose wind gauge failed the first day. Fortunately, this part is easily replaceable. One user found the air pressure and altitude settings a little difficult to master, but found help with a tutorial on the manufacturer’s website. A minor inconvenience to this user was that the lanyard was not removable.
Otherwise, online reviewers love this device. Mountaineers, back packers, hikers, and campers all attest to the quality of the Kestrel 2500 Pocket Weather Meter. One used the Kestrel 2500 on a 5 day outing in Alaska and only had to change the battery once. A long range shooting enthusiast found this model comparable to other more expensive models, and liked that the replaceable blades restore calibration. It has a display hold function that one person found useful for situations where the display could not be immediately read.
- Five year warranty covers shipping charges as well. 30-day money back guarantee.
- Waterproof and floats.
- Wind gauge fans are replaceable.
- No computer interface.
- Lanyard is not detachable.